When deciding what I wanted to be when I graduate, I ended up choosing Elementary Education. With this, there was a secondary choice to make, what teachable major I prefer. These choices include: Science; Social Studies; English; Mathematics. Social Studies was out of the question to begin with as it is not one of my favorite subjects. Science didn't sound too appealing to me either. The choice was between writing papers or solving equations. In the end, I chose mathematics.
Mathematics hasn't been the hardest subject in school for me, but not always the easiest. It is one subject that completely builds upon itself in different directions. We start young learning the basic building blocks of mathematics, and as we progress through the different courses we study, we build on those fundamentals in different ways. For example, staying in the elementary level, we start by learning to count and then learning addition. From this we end up learning how to multiply, by way of repeated addition. This trend continues as we learn more and more about mathematics. The interesting part is when two completely different topics in mathematics end up relating to one another in some way.
I think that mathematics is a great subject to choose for a teachable major. Knowing how to solve problems involving mathematics can and essentially is used in every day life. When going out to eat we leave a tip based on a percentage. When getting gas, we can estimate how much we are going to spend based on the price per gallon. Every day tasks can involve mathematics, and as a teachable major for an elementary school teacher, it is good to know the in's and out's to better teach the future generations.
No comments:
Post a Comment